Today marks the beginning of Gas Safety Week. I don’t usually bother with the “special” weeks or days as some of them seem a little silly. Gas safety week however is far from silly.
I strongly recall hearing on the news , the deaths of two young children in Corfu 9 years ago. Although this tragedy happened overseas, the problem of carbon monoxide poisoning unfortunately remains high here too. Every year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 40 people die. Small children and the elderly are most at risk.
Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer” this is because it has no smell and no colour and you will be unaware you have a carbon monoxide leak until it’s usually too late. There aren’t always symptoms of poisoning either and when symptoms do arise; they can easily be confused with symptoms of other illnesses, headaches and sickness being the most common symptoms.
Carbon monoxide leaks are most commonly associated with faulty boilers, fires and flumes. It’s therefore important to have regular gas safety checks. Corgi Home Plan are currently campaigning to get every home a carbon monoxide detector so family’s and especially those most vunerable can be kept safe.
This is a carbon monoxide detector. It’s small and discreet so can be placed anywhere, it’s probably a good idea to place close to a boiler or fire. They don’t need any sort of setting up, simply pull out the battery tab and it’s ready to go. The power light come on intermittently so no need to even worry about a light being on continuously either. It can be tested regularly too by pressing the big button which tests the alarm. It’s quite loud and would certainly wake us all up in the event of a leak. They don’t cost that much either and just need the batteries replacing every few months. It’s certainly worth it for peace of mind.
Most rented homes come fitted with smoke detectors and I strongly believe that these should be installed too. They can be freestanding and placed on cupboards or easily wall mounted.
Corgi Homeplan have put together their own website wort useful information on gas safety in the home and more facts on carbon monoxide poisoning. Visit here.