Primo toys have asked us to take part in their “Coding girls campaign”. The aim of this campaign is to encourage more girls into STEM jobs and basically become more involved with science as a whole.
It’s quite a sad fact that even in the 21st century, where gender equality is rife; that only 24% of STEM jobs are held by women. STEM jobs include all sorts of science roles, mathematicians, physicists, astronomers, and of course Astronauts too.
The STEM industry offers great opportunities for females as well as males but it seems the enthusiasm needs to be there from an early age. Primo toys has many types of toys that can encourage science type play and also a free Beginners guide to coding, which contains lots of useful tips and easy things to do.
Primo toys girls blogging challenge involved asking my girls a few simple science questions and recording their answers. Now we did try the whole vlog and videoing but for many reasons this just did not work, so instead I am simply putting their answers here.
First up is Jordanna who turns a big 11 years in a few months.Jordanna here already has some interest in science and STEM. She loves creating slime and bath bombs and soaps and likes making lots of mess.
◦ What do they enjoy about being a girl? I like that there are more clothes and I can wear make up and have lots of friends.
◦ Have they ever been told they can’t do anything because they’re a girl? Yes I wasn’t able to join the football team
◦ What do they want to be when they grow up? I want to be a street dancer
◦ Which woman/girl inspires them the most and why? Perry from little mix, she’s such a good singer and dancer
◦ What do you know about computer programming/coding?* eh? Not much but I like going on my laptop
◦ What activity did you enjoy the most in our guide to coding for kids book and why? (Activities for parents to do with their child) – trying to make a robot with my brother!
And next up is Izebella who is 5 years old. Izebella enjoys watching and copying big brother and sister. She also likes the whole slime trend. She has a coding robot already that she got for Christmas. Her answers were very different to Jordanna’s!
◦ What do they enjoy about being a girl? I like pink colours, my dolls, my ponies and being like my mummy!
◦ Have they ever been told they can’t do anything because they’re a girl? (Pulls funny face) no but I don’t like playing with smelly boys or playing football
◦ What do they want to be when they grow up? I want to be a dancer like mummy was.
◦ Which woman/girl inspires them the most and why? Harley Quinn because she’s so cool.
◦ What do you know about computer programming/coding?* I have my robot which does coding and maps on my tablet.
◦ What activity did you enjoy the most in our guide to coding for kids book and why? (Activities for parents to do with their child) Jam on toast copying mummy.
And that is our coding challenge and my girls answers. #codinggirls